Recipe - Barley & Vegetable Ragout
- 1¾ cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup barley, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ pound mushrooms, quartered
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 4 cups vegetables cut in ½ inch cubes (e.g. carrots, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, yam)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 15 ounce can tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs: rosemary, thyme, sage
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add barley, cover pan and reduce heat to low for 30-40 minutes until barley is tender and broth is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prepare all vegetables. Heat oil in a large skillet over mediumhigh heat. Sauté onion, garlic, salt and mushrooms until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add root vegetables and pepper, sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add tomatoes, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, parsley and barley to skillet and mix well. Cover and simmer until heated through. Combine herbs with cheese, garnish and serve.
The Seasoned Cook: Dried herbs work equally well in this recipe. Add them with the tomatoes in step 3. Cooking vegetables in a large skillet instead of a pot allows them to caramelize (turn brown), which boosts flavor.
Per serving with salt: 258 calories, 14g protein, 44g carbohydrate, 7g fat, 2g sat fat, 4g mono fat, 4mg cholesterol, 9g fiber, 460 mg sodium Without salt: 260mg sodium