Recipe - Barley and Mushroom Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, bite-size pieces
- 2 cups broth from Slow-Cook Chicken or store-bought
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- ½ cup hulled or pearled barley
- 2 cups mixed greens (spinach, beet greens or swiss chard), chopped
- ½ teaspoon each salt, pepper and dried thyme
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot. Sauté onion, pepper, garlic and mushrooms until soft; about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and water to onion mixture; bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Stir in chicken and barley.
- Simmer until barley is tender; about 30 minutes for pearled barley, 60 minutes for hulled.
- Stir in mixed greens and seasonings in final 10 minutes of cooking.
Per serving: 166 calories, 12g protein, 21g carbohydrate, 5g fat (1g sat, 3g mono/poly), 19mg cholesterol, 5g fiber, 291mg sodium
Seasoned Cook: Make a double batch and freeze for a quick weeknight dinner.
Mushrooms are high in vitamin D and beta-glucans, a fiber that lowers cholesterol.
Serve with arugula, avocado and orange salad.