Recipe - Applesauce Nut Muffins with Fruit Salad
Applesauce Nut Muffins
Nutrition goldmine: If you like muffins for breakfast, it’s healthier to make them at home. Muffins from a store or restaurant may contain up to 30 grams fat and more than 600 calories! Walnuts are a good source of heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids.
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- ½ c. brown sugar, packed
- ¾ c. apples, peeled and finely diced
- ½ c. flour 1 c. whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder 1 c. applesauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ c. chopped walnuts
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. allspice
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the oil, brown sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in applesauce and diced apples.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, spices, and nuts. Stir into the applesauce mixture, just until moistened. Do not overmix.
- Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking oil spray, fill, and bake for 15-18 minutes. Let muffins cool in the pan for five minutes, then remove from pan and cool on a rack.
Per 1 cup serving: 135 calories, 3 gm protein, 21 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 2 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 180 mg sodium
The seasoned cook makes these by the dozen to freeze and takes some out at night for use the next morning. Instead of oiling the muffin pan, you can simply use paper muffin cups.
Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey
Nutrition goldmine: Fruit is naturally rich in fiber and potassium and low in sodium — all linked to naturally lowering blood pressure.
- 1 c. nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 orange, bite-sized pieces, pith removed
- 1 c. grapes, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Oregon pear, diced
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ c. slivered almonds or chopped hazelnuts
- Fresh berries in season (optional)
- Stir together the yogurt, honey, and vanilla until smooth.
- Prepare fruit and toss together in a bowl. Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice.
- Combine with yogurt mixture, divide into serving bowls, and top with nuts and raisins.
Per serving: 201 calories, 9 gm protein, 37 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 2 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 9 gm fiber, 419 mg sodium, (129 mg sodium without salt)