Providence Cancer Center experts share insights, summer 2012
R. Bryan Bell, M.D., D.D.S., FACS
- Invited lecture: "Innovations in Head and Neck Surgery," German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Annual Meeting, Freiburg, Germany, May
- Presentation: “New Technologies and Developments in Head and Neck Reconstruction," 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, Toronto, July 21-25
- 2012 visiting professor: Emory University, University of Pittsburgh, The University of Alabama at Birmingham and University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Keynote speaker: Australian and New Zealand Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Sydney, Australia, Oct. 11-13
Paul Hansen, M.D., FACS
- Oral presentations: “The Impact of Major Postoperative Complications on Long-Term Survival after Pancreaticoduodenectomy for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma” and “Peripheral Blood Myeloid Cell Populations Expand in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma Treated with Resection and Ablation, But Not with Endoluminal Therapy,” American Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Annual Meeting, Miami Beach, Fla., March
- Invited lecture: “Principles of Tumor Ablation,” ultrasound and advanced HPB technology session, American Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Annual Meeting, March
- Publications: “Outcomes Following Laparoscopic Choledochoduodenostomy in the Management of Benign Biliary Obstruction,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, April 16 (epub Jan. 31); “Outcome After Laparoscopic Radiofrequency Ablation of Technically Resectable Colorectal Liver Metastases,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, July 18 (epub March 12)
Michael Gough, Ph.D.
Alison Conlin, M.D.
Paul Tseng, M.D.
- Poster: “Clinicopathologic Parameters Relating to Systemic and Intratumoral Lymphocytes in Patients with Ovarian Cancer,” 9th Biennial Ovarian Cancer Research Symposium, Sept. 6-7, Seattle
Miles Hassell, M.D.
- Guest speaker: “Resisting Insulin Resistance for Breast Cancer Prevention and Survivorship,” Breast Cancer Journal Club, Portland, April 4
- Open study assessing therapeutic food consisting of glutamine, honey, butter and yogurt in reducing esophagitis in patients undergoing thoracic radiation; Providence St. Vincent Medical Center
Laurel Soot, M.D., FACS
Walter J. Urba, M.D., Ph.D.
- Invited seminar: “New and Emerging Therapeutic Options in Metastatic Melanoma: Progress and Challenges in Personalizing Patient Care,” Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, Calif., April 26
Brendan Curti, M.D.
- Invited seminar: “New Targets and New Treatments in Melanoma,” Bonneville Power Administration corporate office, Portland, June 29
Loch Chandler, N.D., MSOM, LAc
- Attended MD Anderson Cancer Center’s 8th Annual Oncology Training Conference for Acupuncture, Massage Therapists and Yoga Teachers, Texas, July 18-20. Dr. Chandler received training for a phase III clinical trial that will test acupuncture in treating radiation-induced xerostomia in patients with head and neck cancer.