Oxygen therapy safety guidelines

Oxygen is safe to use in the proper environment. It will not explode or burn, but it does increase the flammability of objects near concentrated oxygen.  It will also cause anything that is burning to burn hotter and faster.

Remember these safety tips for our loved ones using oxygen.
  • Keep oxygen concentrator 12 inches away from objects, curtains, walls and bedspreads.
  • Never place anything on top of the oxygen concentrator.
  • No smoking is permitted in the same room where oxygen is used or stored.
  • Plug oxygen concentrators into a properly grounded outlet. Do not use an extension cord, adapter or power strip.
  • Do not use petroleum- or oil-based products or chemicals near an oxygen source or on a patient receiving oxygen. This includes Vaseline, A&D ointment, oil-based lotions, aerosol sprays, paints and solvents.
  • Keep all oxygen equipment at least 10 feet from any heat source.
  • Keep electrical or battery-powered items, such as electric razors or hair dryers, at least three feet away from oxygen.
  • Turn tank or machine off when not in use.
  • Secure all oxygen cylinders with a chain or stand.