Community Hospice Training Program Schedule
Providence Hospice offers a free comprehensive course of training to prepare people who are interested in becoming hospice volunteers.
Schedule of training sessions
Volunteers must attend all of the classes in their training sessions. All sessions located in Portland unless otherwise noted.
WINTER 2016 (6-day training)
- Tuesday, Jan. 19 and Thursday, Jan. 21 (12:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Saturday, Jan. 23 (9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Patient Care Day, may end by 4 p.m.)
- Tuesday, Jan. 26, Thursday, Jan. 28 and Saturday, Jan. 30 (12:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
SPRING 2016 (4-day training from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day)
- Friday, April 22 and Saturday, April 23 (Patient Care Day)
- Friday, April 29 and Saturday, April 30
SUMMER 2016 (4-day training 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day)
- Friday, June 24 and Saturday, June 25 (Patient Care Day)
- Friday, July 7 and Saturday, July 8
(Location: Tualatin and Portland)
FALL 2016 (4-day training 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day)
- Friday, October 21 and Saturday, October 22 (Patient Care Day)
- Friday, October 28 and Saturday, October 29
Dates may be subject to change.
What do hospice volunteers do?
Hospice volunteers help people who are facing terminal illness. The training course covers the basic principles of hospice, understanding the special needs of patients and their families, effective communication, patient care, pain and symptom management, spiritual care giving, and understanding grief and loss.
Volunteers serve in many different areas, including respite care; bereavement; Me Too – a children’s grief support group; oncology; community education; and program support.
Hospice volunteers are especially needed in east Multnomah County, Gresham, Molalla, Beaverton and Hillsboro. Applicants with fluency in Spanish and Russian are especially encouraged to apply.
What are the requirements?
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old. No previous hospice experience is required. Following training, volunteers are asked to commit four hours a week for a year. Pre-registration is required. For more information, please call a Providence Hospice volunteer coordinator at 503-215-4944 (east) or 503-291-6621 (west).