Also known as:
Labor and delivery doula
A doula is a woman who is trained to provide continuous and nurturing physical, emotional and informational support to the birth mother during labor and delivery.
Providence Maternal Care Clinic in Portland and Providence BirthPlace in southern Oregon offer doula support for labor and delivery.
- Stay with the mother throughout her labor and delivery
- Provide emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint throughout the mother’s labor and delivery
- Assist the laboring mother with position changes, relaxation techniques, breathing and rhythmic guidance
- Advocate for laboring mother’s wishes
- Perceive their role as nurturing and protecting the mother’s memory of the birth experience
- Allow the birth partner to participate at his/her comfort level