Child life specialists
Certified Child Life Specialists (CCLS) are professionals who are specially trained to help children of all ages and their families understand and cope with illness, injury, treatment, hospitalization and the overall health care experience.
Certified child life specialists are professionals who are specially trained to help children of all ages and their families understand and cope with illness, injury, treatment, hospitalization and the overall health care experience.
Child life specialists use supportive relationships, play and other expressive opportunities to promote normal growth and development of the child while recognizing the unique strengths within each family.
We offer many services to help prepare and support your family during your time in the hospital. Services provided are free of charge and include:
- Preparation for tests, surgeries and other medical procedures
- A Family Preparation Program is available for children scheduled for outpatient surgeries, procedures and tests. For more information or to schedule a visit please call 503-216-2298.
- Assistance creating coping plans for your child during medical tests, procedures and time in the hospital
- Therapeutic and medical play opportunities to help your child understand and express his or her feelings
- Activities to encourage normal development of infants, children and adolescents
- Education and support for siblings
- Grief and bereavement support
This program is funded through the generosity of our community. We graciously accept donations of new toys, games, arts and crafts and other items. For a complete list of our most needed items, please download our wish list. We also welcome financial contributions.