This course will provide up-to-date research and instruction for evidence-based acute management and interdisciplinary rehabilitation for mild traumatic brain injury, including concussion for both sports and non-sports mechanisms of injury.
Topics will include:
- Clinical education about concussion/mild traumatic brain injury
- Overview of medical management from a physician perspective
- Discussion of psychosocial influences from a neuropsychology perspective
- Rehabilitation techniques to address orthopedic, vestibular, sensory, visual, psychosocial, and cognitive communication challenges.
Instruction will be provided in a large group format, as well as break out sessions for PT/ATC, OT, and SLP, and will utilize interactive case studies to promote clinical reasoning and collaboration for complex cases.
June 27-28, 2015
Providence Portland Medical Center
Cancer Center Amphitheater
This course is applicable to all healthcare professionals with an interest in concussion/mild traumatic brain injury including physicians, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech and language pathologists, athletic trainers, case managers and chiropractors.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the anatomy and mechanism of
mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI), including
- Screen for MTBI/concussion in various patient
populations and make appropriate referrals
- Identify potential risk factors that may prolong
- List and utilize techniques that can support
patients with complex psychosocial backgrounds
- Administer discipline-specific assessments and
- Describe an interdisciplinary approach to MTBI,
including roles and goals of team and individual
- Problem-solve patient case studies with an
Registration fee: Two registration options are
- June 27th only until 12:30pm lunch break - $99
- Full course June 27-28th - $350
*The registration fee covers continental breakfast,
refreshments, certificate and course manual.
Early-bird registration discount: $50 per person off the full course price if registered online on or before June 6th, 2015. If registering by mail, registration must be postmarked by June 6th, 2015, to receive the early-bird price.
Refund policy: Full refunds less a $25 administrative fee will be granted if cancellation is requested by June 13th. No refunds will be made after that date unless the course is cancelled by Providence Rehabilitation Services, in which case full refunds will be issued.
Register online ›
Register by mail ›
Learn more about the speakers and course outline ›