Rights & Responsibilities
As a natural outgrowth of our organizational values and Mission, the board of directors, the medical staff, and the employees of Providence St. Vincent Medical Center jointly affirm and recognize the following rights and responsibilities of patients:
In recognition of their human dignity, all patients have a right to courteous treatment and impartial access to quality medical care.
- All patients have the right to be informed of alternative treatments and to choose among the alternatives, including the right to refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law, and to be informed of the medical consequences of their actions. All patients are responsible for their own actions if they refuse treatment or do not follow the doctor’s recommendations.
- All patients have the right to every consideration of privacy concerning their medical care program. Patients are responsible for being considerate of the privacy of other patients. Telephones, televisions, radios, and lights should be used in a manner agreeable to others.
- All patients are assured confidential treatment of their medical record by state and federal law. These statutes and regulations control the release of information contained in your medical record.
- All patients have the right to continuity of care, transfer, and consultation with other medical specialties.
- All patients have the right to examine and receive an explanation of their bill, regardless of the source of payment. Patients have the responsibility to provide information necessary for claim processing and to be prompt in payment of their bills.
- All patients have the right to know the rules and regulations that apply to patient care and conduct and are responsible for following those rules and regulations.
- All patients have a right to receive an explanation of their treatment program and to ask for further clarification if the course of treatment is not understood. Patients have the responsibility to cooperate in their treatment program.
If you have a question or concern
The medical staff and the employees of Providence St. Vincent Medical Center seek to treat our patients with fairness and concern, recognizing their needs and satisfying them to the extent possible. If you have any questions or problems that have not been answered to your satisfaction, or if you have a special need, call the Quality Management team at 03-216-2243.