Infectious disease physicians are internal medicine doctors who specialize in diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites. They often consult for other physicians requesting assistance in caring for patients with complex infectious illness.
The providers at Providence Infectious Disease Consultants-West require a referral from a patient's primary physician.
Common reasons for patients to see an infectious disease specialist include:
- Bone and joint infections
- HIV disease
- Recurrent skin infections, such as MRSA
- Uncommon infections acquired in the United States or abroad
- Infections complicating a unique immune system
- Viral hepatitis
- Recurrent and drug resistant urinary tract infections
- Prolonged fever of unknown origin
- Recurrent c-diff