When it comes to helping kids play smart,
we all have a stake in the game.
More than 10,000 hearts screened over the past 4 years, identifying 5% of youths needing further follow-up and treatment.
Screening can save lives
Play Smart, sponsored by Providence Heart and Vascular Institute, provides:
- Free heart screenings for youths ages 12 to 18, which include:
- Blood pressure measurement
- Echocardiogram if needed
- Resources to learn more about sudden cardiac arrest and heart disease prevention
- A community for learning and sharing
What to expect in a heart screening? This educational video takes you through the screening process.
It takes a community – parents, teachers, medical professionals and you – to prevent sudden cardiac arrest in young people. Increased access to automated external defibrillators, education on cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and youth cardiac screenings will save lives.
The most common cause of sudden cardiac arrest in young people is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, or HCM, an inherited disease that affects 1 in 500 people. HCM can thicken the heart’s walls and cause it to beat in dangerous rhythms. While symptoms may include chest pain, shortness of breath or fainting, some kids with HCM have no symptoms at all.
Other causes of sudden cardiac arrest include coronary artery anomalies, Marfan syndrome, commotio cordis and electrical abnormalities, such as long QT syndrome.
Play Smart encourages you to learn more about heart disease and to help educate others. Join our community on Facebook to share your story. Let’s learn more together – because we all have a stake in the game.
We are the largest provider of cardiac services throughout Oregon. More than 80 highly skilled cardiologists and surgeons care for more than 13,000 patients each year, integrating patient education and prevention with advanced diagnostics and treatment.
Free Youth Heart Screenings
Make a donation » Our pledge is to offer Play Smart™ Screenings at no charge. You can help with a tax-deductible donation.
Outreach Screening Events
- Oct. 19 (Wed.): 4-7 p.m. St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- Oct. 20 (Thurs.): 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sherwood High School
- Oct. 26-27 (Wed./Thurs.): 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Tigard High School
- Nov. 2-3 (Wed./Thurs.): 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Tualatin High School
- Nov. 9 (Wed.): 4-7 p.m. - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- Nov. 10 (Thurs.): 3:30-6:30 p.m. - Mittleman Jewish Community Center
- Nov. 16 (Wed.): 2-7 p.m. - Frontier Communications (Beaverton-Hillsdale location)
- Nov. 18 and 21 (Fri./Mon.): 7:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. - Southridge High School
- Dec. 3 (Sat.): 8 a.m. to noon. - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- Dec. 7-8 (Wed./Thurs.): 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Yamhill Carlton High School
- Dec. 12-14 (Mon.-Wed.): 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Jesuit High School
- Dec. 28 (Wed.): 4-7 p.m. - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- Jan. 11-12 (Wed./Thurs.): 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Oregon City High School
- Mar. 1-2 (Wed./Thurs): 6-9 p.m. - Oregon City High School
- Mar. 21-22 (Tues./Wed.): 7:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. - Southridge High School
Other helpful sites